Thursday, April 24, 2008

Magnolias beginning to bloom

Owen next to his white magnolia that is four years old just like him.

And here is Hali standing next to her pink Magnolia that is almost two just like she is.

 

 


 
Hali and Owen with their brother Ethin playing the fishing game the other day.  It was Ethin's eighth birthday and he got to stop by for a little birthday celebration.
 
Tomorrow is Arbor day and the kids and I are going to plant the little pine trees they got on the Earth Day Scavenger Hunt at the grocery store.  I have been cleaning up the yard and today the truck came and took away the things I can't compost (Christmas tree, straw, and vines).  I will be picking some of the rhubarb tomorrow too to make some delicious rhubarb torte.  I have some Daffodils blooming and buds coming on all the trees and bushes.  The sap has stopped running and I've boiled it for syrup.  I saved some snowballs in the freezer so I can pour the syrup over them.  A real treat for us, kind of Little House In The Big Woods sort of treat.  I have several bags of cocoa bean shells to put around the little evergreens after the rain stops and I also got a couple yards of pea gravel at Menards to fill up the driveway 'rutes or roots or ruts'...whatever they are called.  Owen and Hali planted some beans and sunflowers at the library and they are up good but we need to wait until the 14th of May to plant them they said.  I hope they last long enough.  I played outside with the kids.  They wanted to sing and play in the rain, so we did.
 
 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

these are great spring pictures.... the kids are sure growing along with the magnolias. what a good idea to plant them. i have a bridal wreath bush I planted when Shari got married and its still going strong.
Sandra
I see too how those trees are growing on the edge of your lot... nice

Anonymous said...

How wonderful the trees and the kiddos look. Just great pics.

All my Arbor Day trees from two years ago and doing great! This past Arbor Day trees aren't coming in yet. I planted two Red Buds but nothing yet. I'm still hoping.

I'm watching the hibiscus but don't expect them to start growing before next month. If they do there's one with your name on it! Keep your fingers and toes crossed.

Deb

Anonymous said...

I love the kids each have a tree to grow with....
Linda :)