Saturday, September 29, 2007

Hi.

I got some really big native perennials today at Farmer's Market.  They are selling cheap cause it's the end of the season but they can still be planted and will do well.  They will flower again next year.  Then I sowed the oat grass in the gardens.  That's what I use for fertilizer in my yard.  It does a good job and is very earth friendly.  I also put salt on a couple picker weeds that were in the yard and watered the new evergreens.  They had a lot of ornamental grasses at the market today too but not the kind I'm looking for.  Although, I may go next week and check to see if they still have some and get a few for the back fence area.  I like to watch them blowing in the winter time breezes.  I put up a few more decorations for autumn.  I got a bale of straw and a couple big pumpkins.  I use the straw for decoration now and then in November I mulch with it.  Picked the last two tomatoes today.  Well I didn't actually pick them today, I had them ripening on the garage sill and they were ripe enough to bring in.  Also put out a few more clothes lines so I can get the towels and sheets hung up at the same time.  Went to lunch with Jenny and did a little shopping together.  She's doing well in school and asked for this salsa recipe so I'm putting it here and then will copy and paste to her email.  I'm enjoying my weekend.

Salsa

1 1/2 cups diced tomatoes

1 1/2 cups diced onions

1 1/2 cups diced green peppers

1/2c celery

1 six ounce can tomato paste

2 tsp. dill pickle juice

2 tsp salt

2 tsp pepper (if you like)

2 tsp mustard seed

1/2 tsp cumin

1/2 tsp chili powder

1 tsp lemon juice

One very, very small, diced pickled jalapena pepper...take the seeds out and discard without touching with your bare hands.

Mix all ingredients.  Add small amount jalapena peppers and taste before adding more.  It will get hotter after it sits a while.  Can be canned in hot bath.  May double or quad recipe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sounds good. Now I can hardly wait to see all your fall pictures
Sandra