Thursday, November 8, 2007

Sweet Potato Casserole

3 cups mashed sweet potatoes
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup melted butter

Topping:
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/4 cup melted butter
1 cup chopped pecans

 

Peel and cube the sweet potatoes. Bowl them in water until they are tender enough to pierce with a fork. Drain and mash

In a large bowl mix the sweet potatoes, 1 cup brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, spices, milk and melted butter.

Pour the sweet potato mixture into a buttered 2 quart casserole dish.

Combine the topping ingredients and sprinkle over the sweet potato mixture.

Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree F oven for 40 to 50 minutes. The center will be almost set when done. It will continue to set as it cools.

Serves 6 to 8.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks Janice.... think I will make this for thanksgiving

Sandra

Anonymous said...

I used to make this but haven't since I turned diabetic. Good idea to use brown sugar in the pie itself. I never thought of that, just always used the white. Brown sounds good. I know if I cooked it now I would just end up eating some of it LOL. Helen