Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Wax Paper

I love it...where would I be at Christmas time, or any other time, without it. Every important leaf and flower in my life was pressed between two pieces of waxed paper and placed in a heavy book. When baking a layer cake I cut out wax paper circles to place inside the pan so the cake comes out whole. Learned this from my Mom and still do this especially with birthday cakes. Caramels...my wonderful Christmas caramels wouldn't taste so wonderful if you didn't have to unwrap the wax paper before eating the caramel. My favorite candy store Beernstsens still wraps their most delicious suckers in waxed paper. You can make pictures and place mats by using two pieces of waxed paper and placing things like leaves and such between the sheets. When I was a girl sandwiches for lunch were wrapped in waxed paper. I was reminded recently how much I love waxed paper when my sister, Angel, posted her fruit cakes on our family web site. Anyone would want a slice of those beauties bundled in waxed paper and on the cupboard to cool.

You can make a butterfly with two pieces of wax paper and some broken color shavings...just cut out in the shape of a butterfly two pieces and put the shavings between the papers. Iron on low heat...make a little hole in the top to hang it with and put it in a window.

I hope you are taking time to have fun with your holiday celebrations.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have some wax paper on hand. Now I need to get some crayons and make that butterfly. Thanks, Helen

Anonymous said...

I always have wax paper but I was never as creative as you.  Thanks for the good ideas

Deb