Thursday, October 11, 2007

The Clothesline Said So Much

A clothesline was a news forecast 
To neighbors passing by.
There were no secrets you could keep 
When clothes were hung to dry. 

It also was a friendly link
For neighbors always knew
If company had stopped on by
To spend a night or two. 

For then you'd see the fancy sheets
And towels on the line;
You'd see the company table clothes
With intricate design. 
                                      
The line announced a baby's birth
To folks who lived inside
As brand new infant clothes were hung
So carefully with pride. 

The ages of the children could
So readily be known
By watching how the sizes changed
You'd know how much they'd grown. 

It also told when illness struck,
As extra sheets were hung;
Then nightclothes, and a bathrobe, too,
Haphazardly were strung. 
                                
It said, "Gone on vacation now"
When lines hung limp and bare. 
It told, "We're back!" when full lines sagged
With not an inch to spare. 

New folks in town were scorned upon
If wash was dingy gray,
As neighbors raised their brows,
And looked disgustedly away. 

But clotheslines now are of the past
For dryers make work less.
Now what goes on inside a home
Is anybody's guess. 
                                   
I really miss that way of life.
It was a friendly sign
When neighbors knew each other best
By what hung on the line! 

         Author: Marilyn K. Walker


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello and good evening to you. I have to say that I enjoy coming to visit your journal. Whenever I visit there is always something new to read or to find. I have to say that I liked this poem. I enjoy this as I do my other place to find good poetry over at "Chosen Words". I want to thank you for sharing this. Your entries always keep a smile on my face and I can't wait to come back for another visit. Thanks again and I shall return. Take care.

Anonymous said...

You know.....as I think about it .....this poem points out the trouble with the whole world.  We have all become introverted with the focus on me..me..me.  If we were forced to "hang our laundry out to dry"  we would clean it up occasionally.  Thank You    

Anonymous said...

It's true.  No one knows their neighbors.  We come home, drive in to our garage and close the door behind us.

I used to love running through the clothes on the clothesline.  It was so nice and smelled so fresh

deb

Anonymous said...

There was a house I passed on the way to work that always used their clothesline but they moved away a year or so ago and now I miss the sight of their clothes on the line.....
Great entry!
Linda :)

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the poem, Janice.  We are nostalgic about many of the same things.  I liked hanging out the wash for mom = not so much taking it down = and putting the stick in to hold the clothes off the ground.  I've been looking for a nice pic of clothes on the line to hang by the washing machine.