Friday, December 29, 2006

My last day at St. Mary's Hospital

This is the breakroom, see my Pepsi on the table and my soda crackers.  There is a microwave and a little refrigerator.  That's our report table you see there.  This next picture is the computer where I did all my charting, well, most of it anyway.  If you look in back of that, there on the right, you can see mail slots.  Mine was the one on the upper right side...it's emptied out now.

I worked here for almost twenty seven years.  I retired in 2004 but stayed on until today just PRN...very part time.  Today was my last day.  Woo Hoo!!  I'm going to hybernate for the winter months. 

Okay, now below is my recipe I made this morning for my extremely delicious potato soup.  I had some and a 'spot' of tea for a late supper.

Potato Soup

Peel 4-5 medium potatoes, cut them into squares, about 1/2 inch or thereabouts.

Add cold water, a little more than enough to cover them. Bring to a boil and add a little very finely chopped onions, about 1 to 2 tablespoons, more or less to taste.
Add about the same amount of real finely chopped celery or celery seed.

Now, the secret, take a bowl of flour, add just a bit of salt & pepper, mix it up and then dip your fingers into water and sprinkle it into the flour & let it sit a couple minutes. It makes little flour balls and the more of these, the better. Now add the little balls to the soup and continue to simmer. The flour will thicken it up just a little til it's a good consistancy.
Simmer til they are done, then, add about 2 to 2 & 1/2 cups of milk.

Continue to simmer. Add salt, pepper and butter to taste. If the consistancy is too thick, add more milk, if too thin, sprinkle in some instant potato flakes.
After the first time you make it, you will learn to adjust for more or less milk depending on how much you want to make.

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you were planning on leaving for good but good for you.... you worked out enough.... now you deserve to sit back a little and relax. the soup sounds delicious.... I may make some tomorrow, thanks for the idea. Sandra

Anonymous said...

That's a long time to work in one place.  I never could have done it.  I like the pictures.  It's interesting to see where you spent your time.  I'm so happy you're out of the rat race.  You have lots of things you like to do so you will never be bored.  Interesting potato soup recipe.  We're big soup eaters in the winter; I'll have to give it a try.  When I saw the crackers on the table, I thought of Dad.  He must have eaten them too.

Anonymous said...

Glad that you are able to retire. That is a long time to work in one place. Your potato soup sounds interesting and delicious. I coppied and pasted it and sent it on to my daughter. We make it but yours sounds good. Helen

Anonymous said...

Happy Retirement/Hybernation! Thanks for posting this recipe. Potato soup is one of my favorite comfort foods, I can't wait to try this one!

Anonymous said...

Wow 27 years.  So, are you sure you're really retired?  No more PRN?  I hope you enjoy your hibernation.  Now you'll have plenty of time to plan for a spectacular Spring.

Deb