Thursday, July 31, 2008

                                                                       

 

Before winter comes and locks the land
Imprisons with ice tipped hand
I must gather, set aside and store
Supplies needed to take me through.
Boxes of clouds from a summer day,
Sunrise and sunset at the shore.
A shell to hold against my ear
To hear the sea, feel the sand warm
From day long shining sun.
Baskets of smells, earth fresh from
A warm spring shower.
Damask roses heady scent
To envelope me in winters dark.
Spring carnations, hyacinths,
New mown grass.
Bushels of sounds, a robin's song,
Beating of wings across the sky.
Buzz of bees hovering, sipping
Nectar from the lily's cup.
Trunks of things you do not see
When winter closes in.
A spiders web of lacy lightness,
Silvered sparkled in morning dew.
Fireflies sending messages after dark,
Moonflowers blooming on the vine.
All the smells and sounds and sights
Stored in my mind for cold winter nights.
...anna alexander

No comments: