Sunday, July 8, 2007

Had a 'hatching' or whatever of Red Spotted Purple butterflies this afternoon.  First time I've had this kind.  They seem to be favoring the little cup and saucer feeding stations because of the water in the saucers.  I'm going to try a little later to get a picture of one of them.  Also a couple hundred birds in the backyard now.  Finches, Robins, Sparrows, Cardinals, Cow Birds, Flickers, and others.  I think the reason the back yard is so active is because it shot up to 90 today and as soon as the sun passed the backyard I started watering.  Many, many birds flew in for baths.  Or maybe they came for Anne Frank's goodbye.  I also noticed one little chipmonk, cute thing and of course the squirrel family that lives in the back yard.  Even though I put peanuts out for them, the darn babies this year insist on jumping into the feeder.  I think it's going to rain.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you put anything beside water in those feeding cups? I have read of making a shallow mud puddle in the yard for the butterflies but haven't tried it. Helen

Anonymous said...

Wow, I bet that was wonderful to see.  Your gardens are such a haven for the critters. I just love to hear the stories and see the pics of your gardens and the critters that call it home. :-)

Deb

Anonymous said...

Where is Anne going? The butterflies sound pretty. I'll have to see if I can find a picture in my butterfly book.

Anonymous said...

I thought you might enjoy this site.
http://www.wisconsinbutterflies.org/
Also, there is a link to a great link on the red admirals there. We had so many in our yard a while ago. They even landed on me when I was out gardening. I had to look them up to find out the name as we haven't had many butterflies in the past. It was neat to see this article and read about them. I noticed the monarchs are around now, too, mostly on the swamp milkweed. That's the plant we bought at Schroeder's that one year that didn't have a tag and the girl just said it was a butterfly plant. It has white flowers that smell like vanilla.

Anonymous said...

Helen, I just have water, lately it's been rain water but otherwise from the sprinkler.