Sunday, August 12, 2007

Booyah

Went with Jenny to the 70th anniversary picnic of Annunciation Church/School.  I got some souvenirs...enough for all my book club sisters if we ever get together again.  I also got to look at the pictures from when I went to school there.  I even found one of Dad singing in the choir that I had never seen before.  We had a nice hamburger and root beer float lunch and in the raffle I won some animal blocks and a set of drum sticks.  There was a very nice hat mittens and scarf set, hand knit, but the price was 35.00, kind of expensive.  If it had been 15 I would have it now.  The chicken booyah was smelling delicious but when I looked at it, didn't look good so I came home and made my own and that is delicious.  Hardly anyone bought the booyah at the picnic.  They didn't have the white elephant sale either so I think that cut down on people that were there.  That always was a big draw as they had a lot of nice things, plants, books, etc.  I have the A/C off tonight and all the windows open, it feels so good to be able to do that.  One of my crab apple trees is dying.  I've had this one about three years and last week I noticed a few yellow leaves on it.  Tonight when I went out to look at it all the leaves are crispy and yellow/orange and there are holes in some of the leaves.  When I scrape the trunk it's still green but most of the branches are brown underneath. I have no idea what caused this.  I rarely, if ever, have anything die in this yard.  It sure has me puzzled.  I will be sleeping late tomorrow hopefully.  Maybe do a little yard work.  I won't cut the grass though until this heat goes away or the city says I have to...whichever comes first. 

 

Booyah is a thick chicken stew that many believe was created in Northeastern Wisconsin by Walloon Belgian settlers. Mary Ann Defnet, a respected historian of Walloon culture in Wisconsin explains the origin of the rather unusual word in a letter sent to K. Fleurant, who had suggested to a reporter for the Green Bay Press-Gazette that the origin was bouillir, the French word for to boil. Although variations of this dish are found in many cultures worldwide, the wonderfully hearty dish called "booyah" can only be found in Wisconsin.

1 lb. butter
25 lbs. chicken, cut in pieces and browned
5 lbs. beef, cubed and browned
5 lbs. onions browned with meat
5 lbs. celery, diced
5 lbs. carrots, diced
3 pecks potatoes, peeled and diced
5 lbs. shredded cabbage
5 lbs. fresh tomatoes, diced
1 cup salt
4 teaspoons pepper
1 cup chopped parsley

The following may be added if desired

5 No. 2 cans whole kernel corn or equivalent of fresh cooked corn.
2 lbs. dried split peas, soaked overnight and cooked until tender
2 lbs. dried navy beans, soaked overnight and cooked until tender.

After the meat is browned thoroughly, add seasoning and enough hot water to cook until tender. Remove chicken from bones and cut into cubes. Place all the meat in one very large container and add vegetables in the order given with reference to length of time for cooking each, with enough additional boiling water for cooking the mixture. Watch the mixture carefully to prevent sticking and burning.

Makes 25 gallons

Recipe thanks to Mrs. Mary Ann Defnet, Green Bay. Originally appeared in "Wisconsin's Folkways in Foods", 1948; Collection made by the Wisconsin Home Economics Association."

Of course, when I make it at home I use much smaller quantities

 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

do you think it needs water?  I would water the heck out of it for awhile... couldn't hurt and maybe even spray the branches in case there are bugs or something eating the leaves.

Anonymous said...

thank you Sandra, I will try your suggestion.

Anonymous said...

Glad that you had a good time at the Church Anniversary picnic. I was thinking maybe your tree needed water then I read Sandra's comment. Helen

Anonymous said...

There is some disease crab apple trees get - especially the older ones varieties. Maybe it's called apple scab or some such thing. We lost ours about 5 years ago. There are several in the park behind our house that haven't been doing too good either. The guy next door pruned them heavily last year and they seem to be improving this year. So maybe you want to try that. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Your tree might not be dying.  Ours gets yellow leaves every year, and they fall off.  They told us at the landscape place that it should improve each year.  I guess it has gotten better, but it's been l0 years and the leaves still get yellow and fall off, although not so bad.

Anonymous said...

I would love to have a crab apple tree, but I have run out of room in the yard...
Linda :)