Friday, March 23, 2007

A perfect Spring day

The Sheets


From breezeway or through front porch screen
You'd see the sheets, wide blocks of white
Defined against a backdrop of
A field whose grasses were a green
Intensity of light.


How fresh they looked there on the line,
Their laundered sweetness through the hours
Gathered richly in the air
While cumulus clouds gathered in
Topheavily piled towers.


We children tightroped the low walls
Along the garden; bush and bough
And the washed sheets moved in the wind
And thinking of this now recalls
Vasari's tale of how


Young Leonardo, charmed of sight
Would buy in the loud marketplace
Caged birds and set them free--thus yielding
Back to the air that gave him light
Lost beauty and lost grace.


So with the sheets; for as they drew
Clear warming sunlight from the sky
They gave to light their rich, clean scent.
And when, the long day nearly through
My cousin Anne and I


Would take the sheets down from the line
We'd fold in baskets their crisp heat
Absorbing , as they had , the fine
Steady exchange of earth and sky,
Material and sweet.


    ...Timothy Steele

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was very good. Helen

Anonymous said...

one of my neighbors has her sheets flying in the breeze today.... purple and maroon ones. lol
Sandra

Anonymous said...

Hello....I want to say thank you for sharing this poem because it is one that I have NEVER read before and I have never seen this one in a book of poems. You will be happy to know that I printed it out and will be sticking it within the pages of my handwritten diary / journal. I also have to say that I enjoy reading your journal as well as poems like this one that you share. Do take care and thanks again.

Anonymous said...

One of these first days I am going to hang out the sheets, just because I love to see them on the line.  Pretty soon the farmers will be hauling manure on the fields, and the steady exchange of earth and sky won't be so sweet.  Nice poem.