Friday, January 19, 2007

A Very Cold Winter's Day

I was chatting with a woman that has more than five hundred cook books.  I asked her if she had a favorite and she said yes, The Betty Furness Westinghouse Cookbook.  I have that book.  It was published in 1954.  In fact I have two of them.  One has a green cover and one has a yellow cover.  I decided to see if I could find something for supper in it today and I came upon a recipe for meatloaf.  It's cooking now and it's smells maaaarvelous!  Here's the recipe:

Meat Loaf

Bread pan or flat utility pan...Cold or preheated over--375 degrees F....baking time--1 1/2 hours.

1 pound ground beef

1/2 pound ground pork

1/2 pound ground veal

1/2 cup onion, finely chopped

1/2 cup celery, finely chopped

1/4 cup butter, margarine or drippings

1/2 cup tomato soup

1 egg

1 cup soft bread crumbs

1/2 teaspoon pepper

2 teaspoons salt

Have meat ground twice.  Brown onions and celery in butter or margarine, or drippings.  Add tomato soup to onion mixture, then beat egg into mixture.  Add bread crumbs and seasonings to meat, then add onion mixture.  Work well with hands until ingredients are thoroughly blended.  Pack in greased bread pan or form into a loaf.  This meat loaf is excellent when served cold, and wonderful for sandwhiches.  Serves 5--6

I'm looking forward to having a sandwhich a little later for my supper.

I'm starting a new book, the name of it is The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold.  It seems to be a comical scary book.  I got it yesterday at the Salvation Army Store Library for 50 cents.  They have re-done their store and I found an old fifties table cloth for spring there too.

No comments: